Knightsbridge Green


In common with much open space in London, Knightsbridge Green is a mere vestige of its former self. In 1857 Tattersalls, the horse and bloodstock auctioneers leased the undeveloped southern portion of the Green. 

The enclosed area was eventually planted with trees. After WWII Tattersalls commissioned Ralph Hancock & Son to restore the enclosure and to build a wrought iron rose temple - which contained a bronze figure.  The project was carried out as a contribution to the 1951 Festival of Britain.  Sadly, it was demolished  sometime after Ralph's death, presumably to accommodate the increasing traffic requirements of the area. There are no images of either the rose temple nor of the green from the 1950's.

Poignantly, Muriel, Ralph's widow, had placed a small plaque there to commemorate his life's work. The wording was quite simple saying that the garden was the last commission that he had undertaken. After it's removal Muriel felt that there was no longer a permanent mark to him and his work.

This, now lost, oasis was only a few yards from Ralph's central London showroom and consulting rooms at Park Mansion's Arcade, Knightsbridge. This image, of the mansions, is from 1965.

Knightsbridge Green History